Pink eye treatment, diagnosis & prescriptions
Skip the waiting room! Instantly connect with Canadian doctors for medical care from your phone, tablet or computer - any time, 24/7.
Can a doctor treat pink eye on Maple?
In most cases, doctors can diagnose pink eye online by asking about your symptoms, requesting to see images, or video calling to observe your eye(s).
Once you describe your symptoms and the doctor has inspected your eye(s), they will be able to diagnose and prescribe appropriate medication.
If the doctor suspects you have a more serious problem, they may suggest you go to a clinic for a thorough in-person examination.
Can I get a prescription on Maple?
Yes, our physicians can prescribe medications online during your consultation. Once you accept a prescription, you’ll have the option to pick it up from any pharmacy or we’ll deliver it right to your door at no additional cost.
You can visit our How it Works page to learn more.
What is pink eye?
Pink eye typically presents with redness and swelling of the conjunctiva, the membrane that lines the eyelid and eye surface. The lining of the eye is usually clear, but appears white due to the colour of the tissue underneath. If irritation or infection occurs, the lining becomes red and swollen.
Pink eye is very common, and usually is not serious. Typically, it goes away in 7 to 10 days without any medical treatment. Pink eye is most commonly caused by viral or bacterial infections, chemicals, smoke, dry eyes or allergies.
There are four different types of pink eye divided into contagious and noncontagious groups.
Contagious pink eye:
- Bacterial conjunctivitis is caused by a bacterial infection. This form of pink eye is often transmitted by touching your eye with unclean hands or using contaminated makeup, though causes vary widely.
- Viral conjunctivitis is caused by viruses associated with the common cold. This form of pinkeye is contracted from your own upper respiratory infection or exposure to someone who has the virus.
Non-contagious pink eye:
- Allergic conjunctivitis is caused by irritants such as pollen, ragweed, grass, dust, fabric, and animal dander.
- Chemical conjunctivitis is caused by exposure to irritants like air pollution, swimming pool chlorine, and other types of chemicals.
What are the symptoms of pink eye?
- Eye discharge
- Gritty feeling in eye(s)
- Itchy, burning eye(s)
- Red eye(s)
To help prevent the spread of pink eye:
- Avoid touching your eye
- Change pillowcases and towels often
- Don’t share linens with someone who may have pink eye
- Don’t share cosmetics or eye drops
- Keep your child home if infected with pink eye
- Wash your hands regularly
How can I treat pink eye?
You should speak to a doctor if you have a medical condition that decreases your body’s ability to fight infection, have vision in only one eye, wear contact lenses, you have symptoms of a bacterial infections.
You should also see a doctor if you suffer from symptoms of a bacterial pink eye, such as:
- Gray or yellow drainage from the eye, which may also cause the eyelashes to stick together
- Swelling of the upper eyelid, which may cause the lid to appear to droop
- Pain in the affected eye
Doctors may prescribe antibiotics and/or antihistamines/anti-allergy treatments.
If you wear contact lenses while treating the infection, you should:
- Wear glasses until the infection clears
- Dispose of the contact lenses worn when you contracted pink eye
- Disinfect your lenses if you prefer not to throw them away
- Clean or replace your lens case
What is Maple?
With Maple, you can start talking to a doctor about your symptoms in a matter of minutes. We’re a healthcare app for fast, convenient 24/7 access to Canadian doctors.
You simply log in, tap a button to request a consultation, and we’ll immediately connect you to a doctor via live chat or video.
Our doctors can assess symptoms, and provide treatment, including prescriptions as necessary.
You can visit our How it Works page to learn more.
Patients love using Maple
Read our social media reviews, or download the app
Saves a lot of time compared to sitting in a doctor's office!
Legitimate and just as described, with fabulous doctors. Totally fills the late-night worry gap!
Not having to endure a long wait at a walk in clinic is fabulous. Especially since I have twin pre-schoolers to contend with.
The service is so quick and professional and saves hours spent in a walk-in-clinic. This is a game changer for busy moms and I recommend it to everyone!
Instead of my husband having to drag both kids to the hospital or walk in alone he was able to see a doctor right away and get a prescription faxed to our local pharmacy.
Our family has used this service twice so far and it has been amazing. Both doctors were friendly, compassionate and you never feel rushed.
Was concerned I wouldn’t be able to see a doctor without an appointment. I installed the Maple app, spoke to a doctor and had my prescription in under 30 min.
I used Maple for the first time today. It was quick and easy, took less than ten minutes including connecting time and the doctor was professional and friendly.
LOVE This service. Not only do you have a doctor within seconds but they are professional and knowledgable.
Absolutely blown away. It was SO easy to use. No wait time getting connected with a doctor. Getting the prescription faxed to the pharmacy made it a seamless process.
Get started today.
Maple revolves around your needs and schedule. Start enjoying on demand healthcare that fits your life.