Diarrhea Treatment, Diagnosis & Prescriptions
Maple connects you to all the care you need to get diarrhea treatment in minutes. We have the largest network of Canadian doctors treating common medical conditions online, including diarrhea.
Online medical diagnosis and treatment for diarrhea is safe and effective, and is already helping millions of patients around the world. Although common, diarrhea often goes untreated due to inconvenience or failure to recognize warning signs that medical assessment is needed. Our doctors will confidentially review your symptoms in minutes and provide the help you need.
95% of patients using Maple rate their online medical experience as 5 out of 5.
Our doctors fully resolve 91% of all medical requests on Maple, helping you avoid an inconvenient trip to the clinic.
About diarrhea and symptoms.
Everyone has diarrhea occasionally — loose, watery and more frequent bowel movements.
In most cases, diarrhea lasts several days. But if diarrhea lasts for weeks, it can indicate a serious disorder, such as a chronic infection, inflammatory bowel disease, or irritable bowel syndrome.
Usually diarrhea does not require laboratory testing or in person physical examination. In children, diarrhea can more easily lead to dehydration. Speak to a doctor if your child’s diarrhea doesn’t improve within 24 hours.
Common symptoms of benign diarrhea include:
- Urgent need to have a bowel movement
- Loose, watery stools
- Abdominal cramps
- Abdominal pain
When you need to speak to a doctor for your diarrhea.
You should speak to a doctor if you experience any of the following conditions:
- Bloody or black stools
- Fever above 38 degrees Celsius
- Severe abdominal or rectal pain
- Your symptoms last more than two days
- Your diarrhea is accompanied by vomiting
- You feel like you are becoming dehydrated
- You have recently travelled outside of Canada
Treatments you may receive from a Maple doctor include:
- Imodium (loperamide) – slows down intestinal motility and can quickly resolve cases of benign diarrhea.
- Anti-vomiting medications such as Zofran (Ondansetron) – these highly effective medications dissolve under your tongue and can provide full relief in as little as 30 minutes.
- Antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin) – if your diarrhea is consistent with an acute infection, your doctor may recommend rapid treatment with antibiotics and close follow up in a in-person setting.
How our doctors will treat your diarrhea on Maple.
Once you log in to Maple, you can request to see a doctor with the click of a button. Our doctors are available 24/7. After you enter your symptoms, we guarantee that a physician will review your request in minutes.
The doctor will quickly determine whether your diarrhea can be treated safely via Maple, or if you need a trip to the clinic for a more in depth assessment. If they can help right away, your one-on-one visit starts and typically lasts 15 minutes.
You can choose how you want to talk to the doctor, whether it’s by secure instant message or video. The doctor may ask you questions like “Have you travelled outside of Canada?”, “Do you have any blood in your stool or fever?” or “Are you vomiting or dehydrated?”. If the doctor determines you would benefit from a prescription, we’ll automatically send it to your pharmacy of choice for pick up.
Our online medical consultations start at $49 and are covered under many existing private Healthcare Spending Accounts. View our FAQ to learn more.
Moving care into communities.
“Fantastic service. Got to speak to a doctor and get what I needed without having to leave my bed. Highly recommend!” – Ronit S.